Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 17 ~ Petra

We absolutely loved our day in Petra.
P1020478
Here we are as we enter the siq (gorge) at Petra. The rain did not deter us. I always feel like I am in a balloon when I wear my poncho, but it works very well keeping me dry. 
P1020505
This is the canal the people of Petra constructed along the siq to transport water. Bonnie is bundled up in the background.
P1020516
The first view of the Treasury is breath taking.  The first people created the caves and buildings along the siq for burial purposes. The Romans came later and repurposed many of the structures.
IMG_3082-1
I feel so fortunate that my knee has managed to carry me through all the ruins of Egypt and now the siq of Petra.  I decided to give it a break and ride a donkey from the end to the Treasury, plus and donkey ride sounded fun.
P1020561
Bonnie and I then rode the carriage from the Treasury to the entrance.
IMG_3073
So what does a tired camel do at the end of a long day?  Rests his head on a rock, of course!
P1020566
Our hotel, Taybet Zaman, is really cool. It is located on a hilltop with views of the surrounding mountains. No single picture can do it justice.  We meandered through the many passageways of shops, residences, lobby and restaurant. Originally this was a small village 300 years ago.
IMG_3125
In the evening we went to the Petra Kitchen where we helped cook our Jordanian dinner. We got recipes, so we hope try our hand at preparing a Jordanian meal when we get home.

2 comments:

  1. So... the pancho should really be thrown out when you get home. :o) Other than that LOVE the pictures. Maybe when you are here in March you can make us one of those recipes you got. That would be fun! So glad you are safer now and that you have an exit plan. Every day I get to breath a little more sigh of relief. Love you guys... and cant wait for you to be stateside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos above it was an epic place of egypt nice post hope i can visit this place



    cheap holiday to egypt

    ReplyDelete